Set in the beautiful 伯林盖姆 Hills, the historic Kohl Mansion is home to Mercy高中. It is located on 40 acres of land overlooking the San Francisco Bay. 建于1914年, the 63-room rose brick mansion was the central building in a grand estate of the Kohl Family. In 1924, the Sisters of Mercy bought the Mansion as their Motherhouse, 并于1931年开办了这所高中.
Kohl Mansion is continuously buzzing with excitement and activities. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, the landmark still houses many of Mercy高中's classrooms. 尽管在任何一个晚上或周末, the Mansion is the site of special gatherings, 公司活动, 和婚礼. It also hosts world-class chamber concerts through 科尔大厦的音乐.
The Mercy高中 campus is easily accessible by car, train, and bus. Our student live in 13 different Bay Area cities, from San Francisco to Palo Alto.
汽车: The campus can be reached via Hwy 101 and Hwy 280. Many families use our “carpool list” to create carpools so they can share the driving. The list is available at the beginning of June.
航天飞机: Mercy offers shuttle service from several locations which vary annually depending on our families' interest and need. In the past few years we have offered shuttles from San Francisco, Daly City, and Redwood City. There is an additional cost for shuttle service.
公共交通: Many 学生 ride BART or CalTrain to the Millbrae Station and take the free Mercy shuttle or the free North 伯林盖姆 shuttle to campus. The North 伯林盖姆 Shuttle operates before and after school, until 6:20 p.m.
• BART: Purchase tickets at Mercy for the student rate (for 学生 north and or east of Mercy).
• CalTrain: A fun and easy way to get to school – Many 学生 ride the train from the southern peninsula.
• Sam Trans stops at the bottom of Adeline Drive and El Camino – a short walk up
In 1912 Bessie and Frederick Kohl began to plan, 与建筑师霍华德和怀特合作, for the building of a Tudor Mansion on 40 acres of land in 伯林盖姆 near Adeline Drive. The 63 room rose brick mansion was to be the central building in a grand estate which would include tennis courts, 绿色的房子, 玫瑰花园, 大马车房, 150分,000加仑蓄水池.
Since its completion in 1914, 'The Oaks' has opened its doors to countless famous people. 科尔家族, 在他们两年的实习期间, lavishly entertained dignitaries and the Peninsula elite.
After Frederick and Bessie Kohl separated in 1916, Frederick moved to the St. Francis Hotel in San Francisco and Bessie traveled to Europe to sing for the troops. 那幢大厦闲置着。, although it was maintained by a 工作人员 of servants, 直到1921年弗雷德里克去世. In 1921 Frederick escaped to Monterey with his mistress Mrs. 玛丽昂·劳德巴克勋爵. Despair overtook him, and over a solitary breakfast, he took his own life.
腓特烈立遗嘱把那幢大厦留给弗朗茨夫人. 主. 1921年7月. 主 rented the mansion to United Artists for the filming of "Little 主 Fauntleroy," starring Mary Pickford and her husband Douglas Fairbanks. Hollywood once again chose to use the estate when Disney filmed the movie "Flubber" in 1996, 罗宾·威廉姆斯主演.
1924年. 主 sold the mansion to the Sisters of Mercy for $230,000. It has since been a convent, from 1924-31, and has been the home of Mercy高中, since 1931.
1989年10月17日.1 Loma Prieta earthquake affected the entire San Francisco Bay and Santa Cruz areas. While no one at the Kohl Mansion was injured, the Mansion sustained $2 million in damages. Because of the historical status of the Mansion, FEMA was able to provide substantial funding for the restoration project. The rest of the funds were raised through the efforts of the Mercy高中 Development Department.